I am hoping that through all the experiences I have had that I can share some of it and if not, than at least provide some amazing entertainment( no guarantees). I do promise to always share my opinions and feelings! Live, Laugh, Love, My favorite phrase and I strive everyday, in every situation to remember it!

Monday, May 9, 2011

Relay For life

Our Reason to Relay

We are making a difference by teaming up to participate in the American Cancer Societys Relay For Life.

At the event, our team will camp out overnight and take turns walking around the track to raise money and awareness to help the American Cancer Society create a world with less cancer and more birthdays.

Saving lives from cancer starts one team, one participant, and one dollar at a time. Our team is doing our part to make sure that cancer never steals another year of anyone?s life.

Please join our team or make a donation. The impact we can make together is much greater than what any of us could do alone!

My Story

My name is Derin, I am 6 year cancer survivor and am currently battling my second round. Let's work together to raise awareness and find a cure from this terrible illness.-Derin

Some years ago I came across a poem whose message caught my attention. It so intrigued me that I decided I would memorize it. It only took a few months of neglect however for the passages to fade, but the last stanza has always stayed fixed in my mind. It reads:

All those who journey soon or late,
Must pass within the garden?s gate;
Must kneel alone in the darkness there,
And battle with some fierce despair.
God pity those who cannot say,
Not mine but thine who only pray,
Let this cup pass and cannot see
The purpose in Gethsemane

Just a few short months later, this passage would take on a deeper, more personal meaning. In 2005 I was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer. The cancer had progressed to stage four, that being the most severe stage for ovarian cancer. Having spread into my abdomen, the cancer had quickly invaded every space available; constricting the proper function of organs, and wrapping itself around nerves and major arteries alike. The far reaching fingers of the disease had also found its way into my chest cavity, there attaching itself to my lungs. Even a small amount had deposited itself in my shoulder near my collar bone.

Over the next 6-8 months I would spend close to two months in the hospital, being operated on 5 times, and experience two grueling months of Chemotherapy. It is not an experience that I would ever want to relive.

However, it is a reality that I am doing this again. I have completed an intensive radiation regime, and had 2 chemo booster shots, as well as a few different oral medications.

If you would like to make a donation to an individual team member, please click on their name within the Team Roster below:

Team Derin's Angels






No comments:

Post a Comment